Book Review: Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent - Veronica Roth

A copy of this novel was provided Harper Collins Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Divergent is a story of how one girl is unable and refuses to be shaped into the mould that has been made for her.

This story isn’t just about how Tris is Divergent and thus does not fit into any faction. As a person she doesn’t fit into any of the factions, either. She questions Abnegation’s willingness to sacrifice their own wellbeing for someone else. But then she also questions the way Dauntless handles things. She questions things because they don’t seem right, because she can see the flaws that the rest of society is somehow blind to.

I am a tad sceptical of Tris’s easy adaptation to the Dauntless way of life. I understand that she never felt as if she truly belonged in Abnegation, but for someone raised to never perform an act of violence – she gravitated towards it as a ‘solution’ to every problem very quickly. This was my main trouble with the novel, and I think it could have been solved with a little more progression over time.

I loved Tris and Four’s relationship. It wasn't instalovey at all. Yes, there was an instant attraction, but isn’t that how most love stories start? *nods* But after this attraction, there was a lead up to the actual declaration of feelings, and the occurrence of romantic activities, like kissing and the such. I believe in their relationship. I think they are very alike, and that it is believable that they would have formed a relationship. The best aspect of their relationship, to me, is their independence. They don’t need each other to survive or to be around, they simply want it – which is much more healthy.

I am not in agreement with how Dauntless perceive bravery. I know that it is mentioned that the faction has deviated from the purpose it once had, but I still had trouble with it. I simply do not think that jumping out of trains or children – children – beating each other almost to the point of death is bravery. They just aren’t. Risking your life for cheap thrills is reckless, bordering on idiotic. I just couldn’t accept these aspects of the novel.

I think the last few chapters progressed a little too quickly, but on the other hand I guess that’s how most things happen in real life. There is little build up, and the majority of the population is not privy to important information. So I suspect that’s the tactic that Roth was going for.

The ending of Divergent leaves you wanting more, and quite desperate to get your hands on Insurgent. At least, it did with me.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/03/21/book-review-divergent-by-veronica-roth