To The Other: 1 (The Fragmented Sequence)

To The Other (The Fragmented Sequence #1) - Ashley Manning What would you do if there was more than one you? If you knew there were other worlds out there, each with a different version of yourself? What if you knew one of those worlds was planning to destroy others?
Well, you might not have to do anything, but Susan, Sarah, Karen, and Jimmy do. Connected by friendship, and eerily real dreams of a world far different from their own, these four teenagers will have to face the unknown in order to save their world.
A copy of this novel was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
2.5 stars out of 5.
I have very mixed feelings regarding To The Other, and I would just like to begin my review of review by saying this: I simply do not think that To The Other was my kind of book. I have never really read any dark fantasy, or horror novels before, and I am not really sure they are right for me. But onwards with the review.
The idea of four teenagers connected by dreams, and entering other worlds to save their own is fantastic. I love this concept, and kudos goes out to Ashley for thinking of this!
I wish there had been more of an introduction to this novel, so I could grasp the character's relationships, and their personalities. The book just jumped straight into the action without any real explanation of who I was reading about.
There was a general lack of description throughout the book, and I found myself constantly creating images of my own, not knowing whether or not they were correct. There is nothing particularly wrong with this, but I like to know that what I am creating matches the author's own images.
To be honest, I couldn't connect with any of the characters, except maybe Adam. I wish he had been explained a little more deeply, as his role as a Guardian was intriguing, and I would have loved to learn more about him.
There were no dragging moments in this novel; it was constant action all the time, and I never once felt bored with the plot. I do so get irritated when there is dragging!
I feel as if I didn't really know Susan, even though the novel was written in first person from her perspective. She seemed like an adept fighter, but we were given no background information on how she became that way. Did she take fencing as a child? Was fighting a hobby of hers? I don't know.
One thing that I didn't like about this book was the willingness of the characters. The willingness of the kids to follow Adam (a man they know nothing about), their willingness to kill (I am pretty sure there would have been more hesitation about murdering another human being), and their willingness to get over the death of their friend/s. I just found it a little confronting.
I was very intrigued by the ending of this novel, as it sort of left me thinking: how is there going to be a second novel? How is Manning going to pull off this one? I like endings that make me wonder.