Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days)

Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee It’s been over a month since the angels invaded, and took over planet Earth. Penryn Young is forced to take care of both her mother, and wheelchair bound little sister as humans become more dangerous, and resources are depleted.

One night, when trying to move camp, Penryn’s little sister is taken. Determined to get her back, at whatever the cost, Penryn is forced to trust an angel, and hope that she isn’t making the worst mistake of her life.

I have been wanting to read Angelfall for a pretty long time. I mean, there are “eight thousand different five star reviews (and counting)” – that would make almost any avid reader keen to get their hands on this novel. When I was at the library last weekend, and I saw it sitting on the shelf, I was super excited, and hastily thrust it into my library bag, so that no one else could get it. Not that there was one other soul in the young adult section, but hey. A girl’s gotta be careful.

Okay. Let me start off this review by saying this: there is not ONE THING that I can criticise this novel about. I am in love with it. I am in love with everything about it. The only reason I didn’t give it five stars is because: a) I am very harsh when it comes to giving out five stars, and, b) I recently read one of my favourite novels ever, and it was an angel novel, so Angelfall had to live up to a very high standard, and only just fell short.

I love Penryn. She is so down to earth, and realistic – yay! A realistic female MC in a YA book – let the rejoicing begin. I recently posted about how a lot of female characters in YA are obsessed with looks. Penryn didn’t even touch on her physical appearance, until it was used (it makes sense if you’ve read the novel). And she didn’t retort when Raffe called her beautiful. She blushed. NORMAL FEMALE RESPONSES – more rejoicing! No self hate! I am so happy!

Raffe. Aw, man. I am a sucker for dark haired, blue eyed boys. And angels. And Raffe is all three. I was a lost cause the moment he stepped onto the page. I love him. He’s all tortured without his wings, and vulnerable, but totally prideful, as an angel would be. I loved him. I think I mentioned that already. I would LOVE to have a chapter or two in his point of view, because to get a glimpse into his head would be heaven (I know, cheesy, but I had to do it – it was too tempting not to). Although he was kind of mean to Penryn, you could tell he was doing it so make himself feel better. Not that that is okay on any level. But you could just tell he was lying. You could.

World building: awesome. I was never left floundering around amidst the pages, wondering what the heck was going on, or where we were. Ee has done an amazing job with building an apocalyptic America run by the warriors of God. Descriptions: also awesome. Again, I was never left wondering what someone looked like, or what kind of place Penryn and Raffe were in. Ample descriptions = A+ from me.

The writing style was seriously gorgeous. First person present tense – my favourite! I love seeing into a character’s head, and it was awesome to read what Penryn was thinking, and how she was coping, or not coping, with what had happened to her. It makes the world of the story feel so much more real that way.

Love. There was no insta-love. Even MORE rejoicing. Hell, we don’t even know for sure if there even is love. But anyone can already tell that there is. I mean, there was no profession of love after only knowing each other three days; most of the time they were barely civil to each other. Which would be realistic as they are OPPOSING RACES. The relationship development was ace.

Ohmygosh, the ending made me want to cry. I just. No. I hate it when characters think one thing, when in reality it is the other. I feel their pain, and it makes me sad. I desperately want to read the sequel, and need it in my life right now, preferably. I don’t even know how long I will have to wait – I hate waiting!

One more thing, before this becomes an essay: I loved that Penryn wasn’t at the forefront of some rebel movement. She was just a girl trying to save her sister, not the world. It was realistic, and relatable. Penryn is only a seventeen year old girl, after all. She’s not really ready to take on the world, as well as her family problems. Props to Ee for creating a real life teenage girl.

All in all, it is simple to see that I loved this novel. It was practically perfect in every way, and I would highly recommend it to you. I cannot wait to see how Penryn’s story progresses! And, of course, to see more of Raffe. I love me some angel boys, okay?

© 2013, Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.