Runners

Runners - Sharon Sant Oh, boy. This was one action-packed, fast-paced novel that I can’t even allocate a genre to. Dystopian, YA, sci-fi – all of them play integral roles in Sharon Sant’s Runners.

When I was approached by Shaz of Fiction Addiction Book Tours to be a tour host for Runners, I was inclined to, well, decline. I was super busy (still AM super busy) with upcoming field trips, other book tours, ARCs and everything else under the sun. But when I read the synopsis, and browsed through a few reviews, I knew I couldn’t decline. I had to read Runners. And I am so glad I decided to.

Runners is not like any other book I have read before. And I do not say that lightly. The story mainly follows Elijah, and his journey after the death of his father, in a world torn by climate change, world war, and an agency which removes orphaned children from the street – whether they’re orphaned, or not. Luckily enough for him, he meets a group of runners, of kids like him; with nowhere to go, and no one to go to.

Elijah is such an interesting character. Sant has done a wonderful job of writing a confused, troubled fourteen year old boy who doesn’t know what he’s supposed to do. Elijah is constantly getting himself, and those around him in trouble, but you cannot blame him and neither can anyone else. His heart is in the right place, but his head isn’t giving him any advice.

Besides my liking of Elijah, my favourite character was Xavier. He took on the role of protector of the ragtag group of kids that he was a part of; he took them on as his own responsibility – to protect, and to care for. Even though he’s fictional, his actions are still admirable. Xavier was willing to give up so much for all the kids, and I just love him as a character.

Another character that I feel needs to be mentioned is Sky. I loved Sky. She was so strong, and resilient, and intuitive for someone so young. But I guess the circumstances which led to her being a part of the group of runners made her that way. To be honest, I would most definitely read a book about Sky, from her perspective. I think it would be amazing.

Speaking of other books, as far as I am aware, Runners is a standalone. Whilst I feel that the story was pretty well tied up, and I am happy with it, there is definite room for more. I would love to read a book set after the events of Runners, maybe even years into the future, just so we could see how everything turned out in the end. But, that being said, the ending of Runners was fantastic – especially the last few chapters. The action, and the heartache, and the surprises were ample, and it was pretty epic, if I do say so myself!

If you are one for unique characters, ravaged worlds, or awesome adventures, I recommend you read Runners straight away!

© 2013, Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.