The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows a year in the life of Charlie, a boy who is about to start high school, and is about to be thrown into the midst of the teenage world of love, lust, sex, drugs, fear, and hope.
I picked up The Perks of Being a Wallflower because I adored the movie. Now before all of you 'read the book before you see the movie' people get on your high horse, Stephen Chbosky wrote the screenplay for, and directed the movie. So there.
To be honest, I felt like I connected to Charlie, and a lot of the other characters in The Perks of Being a Wallflower more whilst watching the movie than reading the book. I suppose I liked the flow of the movie better.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book.
I loved Charlie's description of things, the way he was so open with the thoughts that ran through his head. Sometimes I laughed with him, and sometimes I felt like crying with him. His thought-train was the aspect of this book that I loved. I loved how he described his feelings, and what he saw, and what he listened to, and how it all affected him.
Often, in books and movies, teenagers are presented as these very stereotypical characters, and in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, this was not the case.
Sometimes the story felt a little unrealistic, as did the dialogue, but at other times, it was so true to life, I knew exactly how Charlie felt as I had experienced the same thing; as have many other people.
I can sort of understand why many people say this book is life changing, or the best book they have ever read; but it just didn't reach me on that level.
I cried in the movie, for it overwhelmed me, and I understood Charlie on a greater level. But I just didn't get those emotions from the book.
Overall, I enjoyed it, but it is not one of my favourites, and I suppose I was expecting a little more.