All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill Em is in a cell. The only people she ever sees are those who hand her food, or those who come to torture her for information about the time travelling device currently ruining the world. When she manages to find a note written to her from previous versions of herself, Em realises that it is time to take back the past, and change the future forever.

So I wanted to read All Our Yesterdays the moment I saw the cover. Coincidentally, the version of the book that I read didn’t even have the cover which drew me in, but oh well. I thought the story sounded unique, but also within one of my most favourite genres – dystopian. I don’t care if people think there are too many dystopian novels. Every author’s dystopia is different, and I have yet to tire of these stories.

I must say that I guessed a lot of the twists that were in this novel, but they were still interesting to read about, and Terrilll did an amazing job of revealing them. I suppose being a good guesser comes with its downsides.

There were two main characters in All Our Yesterdays; Em, and Marina. I loved Em. I loved how broken she was, and how resilient, and how protective she was of those she cared about. She is one of those female protagonists that you cannot help but love. But she’s still human. She hesitates when it comes to making life changing decisions, and I do not judge her for that. It makes her much more real.

I didn’t like Marina in the beginning of the book, as she only came across as a selfish teenage girl who was in love with the wrong boy. But as the story progressed, she matured, and grew on me. And I wasn’t even aware of how much she changed, or how much I grew to like her until right now, writing this review. I think it’s amazing that Terrill weaved her character development so tightly into the story that I didn’t even notice. I think that is supreme artistry on her behalf.

I am in love with Finn, and I love that Terrill mentioned that he was sort of based of Logan from Veronica Mars, because I love that show, and I love Logan. Now that I know she based Finn off Logan, I like Finn even more, and I can definitely see where the inspiration has come through in his character.

I feel so much pain for James. I don’t want to go into it, because this is the kind of book that could easily be ruined, even by vague spoilers, so I’ll just say that he is just one of those passionate and misguided human beings that needs some real taking care of (and I mean TLC, not murder. Your mind didn't immediately jump to murder? Just me then).

I thought the time travel aspect of the novel was explained pretty well, but some explanations left me with a: huh? reaction. I hope it’s explained further in the next novel/s, and if not, I understand it enough not to be too confused.

This book was written fantastically, and I am surprised that it is Terrill’s debut novel, because she could be a best-selling author with numerous novels, and I wouldn’t question it for a second. The character voices of Em and Marina were distinct and clear (even if some of the subheadings in my copy were incorrect), and the prose was beautiful.

I am ridiculously excited about the fact that this is going to be a series (even if it means there is yet another amazing series that I have to keep tabs on – this is kind of getting out of hand), even if I think it could have been a standalone. I am not complaining though, and I am excited to see where the story is headed into the future. Or is it the past? The present? Where the story is headed in time, then.

Overall, this was a VERY GOOD book, and I would recommend it to any YA reader who enjoys love, dystopia, time travel, and epic-ness.