Aberrant, Vol. 1

Aberrant - Ruth  Silver Oh, wow. Okay. Let me start this review off by saying this: I had seen Aberrant floating around the internet, seen Ruth post snippets from 5 star reviews, and have wanted to read it for a VERY long time now. I saw that Ruth was holding a book tour for the sequel, Moirai, and couldn’t help myself. I jumped in straight away, and practically begged to be a part of the tour. And she said yes – hurrah! And then Ruth noticed my incessant fangirling over everything to do with her books, mainly the covers (I mean, have you SEEN them? They’re out of this world beautiful), and decided to send my goodies for free. Yes, she is that awesome, and that nice, and her attitude made my want to read Aberrant even more. So I did. And boy, was I in for a treat.

Aberrant is this amazing dystopian novel that is so completely different from any other I have read. The society is awesome; split up into different towns which provide the others with different things – vague, I know, but I don’t want to ruin anything for you, because the surprises in this book are almost the best part. Almost.

My heart ached for Olivia the moment I started reading this book, and it didn’t stop until I had finished (and then the heartache began in Moirai, but we’ll get to that in about a week, or so). She was this girl who had been raised in a town where intimacy was frowned upon, and friends of the opposite sex were all but non-existent. I guess that’s where her uniqueness started. Her friendship with Joshua. *insert high pitched squealing here* But she’s even more unique, and for an entirely different reason. And you’ll have to read the book to find out!

I really liked Olivia. I felt that she was adequately reluctant to leave her home, and confused about the repercussions of her secret. I think you all know by now how much I love my real characters, and Ruth has done an amazing job of creating one with Olivia.

I know when I am invested in a story and its characters, when I feel for them when something happens. The rules that Haven places on Josh and Olivia made me seethe. I was practically yelling at the people in that city, and ready to petition for those two to get the heck out of there. Do they? You’ll have to read the book to find out! Yes, I am asking you to read this awesome book, if you haven’t gotten the hints already.

Olivia and Joshua’s relationship in Aberrant is my favourite part of the book (followed closely by Joshua himself, but I’m getting to that). Their relationship was so genuine, and I loved it. They were there for each other, they supported each other, they trusted each other. It was FANTASTIC. Finally, I have witnessed a realistic relationship in a YA novel where the counterparts have an investment in each other, and are willing to be there for each other no matter what. It was pretty much the perfect relationship, if you ask me. And one of the main reasons I adored this book.

Joshua is a new book boyfriend. He immediately gained that status the moment Ruth introduced him. He’s not perfect, but he’s supportive, and caring. Not brooding, and stand-offish. HURRAH for a boy that actually deserves the love of the MC! He’s just the kind of boy that you wish you could pull from the pages; no kidding.

The ending was such a complete surprise to me, and I never saw it coming. I love it when that happens, as I am usually pretty adept at guessing plot twists, but Ruth had pulled the wool over my eyes, that is for sure. The surprise is so awesome, and I just want to fangirl over it with someone!

If you can’t tell already, Aberrant is an amazing novel. I desperately want to get my hands on a physical copy, with this beautiful cover. Again, I am despondent about the fact that I do not live in the US, as Ruth is selling signed copies. Why must I be denied the things I want most? Maybe one day.

Anyway, I loved this book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves YA, dystopia, or just awesome books in general.

© 2013, Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.