Book Review: Transcendence (Transcendence #1) by C.J. Omololu

Transcendence  - C.J. Omololu

Transcendence was an addictive read. As some of you may know, past lives are kind of a weakness for me. I love the notion that we may have lived entirely different lives to the ones we are living now. Like I said, kind of a weakness.

Transcendence opens with Nicole in London, receiving visions (or flashbacks) of her past lives (not that she knows this – yet). There, she meets Griffon. A beautiful boy who she seems drawn to, and cannot forget. When she returns to her home country of America, she finds that Griffon is closer than she could have ever believed. To her current life, and those of her past.

I loved the way Omololu incorporated the notion of past lives in Transcendence. It was different to any other spin that I have read, and I really enjoyed it. I loved learning about the Akhet, and how not everyone can remember their past lives, but most everyone has had them. I hope we can learn more about the Sekhem in the next book, because they sound really interesting. I mean, using awesome past lives powers to help save the world? Sounds like my cup of tea.

Whilst the main focus of the novel was Cole’s relationship with Griffon, it wasn’t overly romantic. They formed a relationship based on their mutual knowledge of their past lives, and Griffon helped her adjust to the fact that she wasn’t just Cole any more, she was an amalgamation of a whole heap of people who she had been before. I thought that Cole was believably intrigued and freaked out by the knowledge of her past lives. It would have been unbelievable if she had immediately immersed herself in the world of the Akhet, but boring if she had spent the whole novel fighting it, too. Omololu achieved the perfect balance of curiosity and fear.

I liked the addition of Cole as a cello player. I like reading about characters that have something that means a lot to them, and I loved Cole’s love for her music. It makes the characters more believable when they put their passion into something that isn’t wholly integral to the progression of the story as whole. Her playing the cello was a part of who she was, and I liked that she was so dedicated. This part of her personality made her feel a little more real – even if she was a ‘child’ prodigy cellist. I still liked the addition of the musical elements in the novel.

The world building in Transcendence was commendable. I especially loved the descriptions of London at the beginning of the book, and those presented in Cole’s flashbacks. Speaking of the flashbacks, I thought that Omololu did an excellent job of weaving them into the story. They weren’t shoved in awkwardly, and they didn’t make the primary plot choppy, either. The flashback scenes were placed artistically, and were well timed, as well.

Transcendence was a unique novel that kept me flipping the pages, wanting to know what happened next. I will definitely be reading the next in the series, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of past lives and a captivating story.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/book-review-transcendence-transcendence-1-by-c-j-omololu