Witchling (Curse of Kin, #1)

Witchling (Curse of Kin, #1) - Ari Harper Nera O’Malley is your average teenage girl, with realistic nightmares, and witches for ancestors. Okay, maybe she’s not so normal, after all. Descended from a long line of Irish witches, Nera is third generation female, which means it is up to her to break the 800 year old curse on her family.

But dealing with high school, family, and boy drama, will Nera be able to rise to the challenge, and save her family from an ancient curse?

I love the premise of Witchling. I’ve never before read a novel set in Ireland, so that was really fun to read about (even if I didn’t read their voices in an Irish accent – shameful, I know). I love books about gods, and all associated magical forms, so I knew I would like Witchling when I read the blurb.

Nera was a difficult character to love. At times, she was confident, and self-assured, ready to accept her fate, and the responsibility placed on her shoulders. While at other times, she lashed out unnecessarily, hurt the feelings of those around her, and refused to accept her role. I suppose, in a sense, this is realistic. I mean, what seventeen year old girl is just going easily accept the fact that the fate of their family rests on their shoulders? I probably wouldn’t have, had it been me three years ago. I really hope Nera comes into herself in the next book, as I can tell she would be an amazing person if she just matured a little bit.

I wish there had been more about Bones and Sully. These two were my favourite characters in the book, but I didn’t learn about them as much as I would have liked to. Quite a few things were alluded to regarding Sully, so hopefully we can have a deeper glimpse into his character in the next book. Bones was extremely mysterious, and his past is all but unknown. I would love to learn more about him, and his godling powers.

The fact that the three teenage characters in the novel learned how to swordfight was amazing. I wish I could learn! It was interesting to see how they chose their weapons, and how they eventually grew accustomed to the weight of the sword, and the movements required to wield it correctly. It ignited my desire to learn to fence all over again.

The writing style of this novel was more reminiscent of a younger teen novel, rather than a fully fledged young adult novel. The progression of events was fast paced, there was quite a lot of dialogue, and the descriptions were lacking a bit. To add to that, though, there was never a boring moment in Witchling, which is always a plus!

At times, it was a little confusing to understand all the aspects of the curse, as information was given out in little pieces throughout the novel. I would have loved it if the curse was explained clearly, so I could have wrapped my head around it, and made sure I understood all the intricacies. It was a cleverly thought out curse, and extremely interesting, which is why I wish I could have had a higher comprehension of what was required to break it.

I loved Jasper’s house, and it was pretty much my favourite aspect of this novel. I cannot imagine walking down the street and coming across a castle nestled into the cliff-side. The library of books sounded amazing, and the secret tunnels made me want to jump into the pages, and explore them. I really want to visit Ireland, and see if I can come across such a castle!

Another aspect of this novel that I enjoyed was the love, or should I say the lack of love. With insta-love and love triangles dominating the YA scene at the moment, it was so refreshing to come across a novel that didn’t touch on it at all. Sure, I have some suspicions regarding future relationships, but there was absolutely no quick formed loving relationships. It was awesome to have a book that focussed on the plot, rather than the love, but still had you shipping a couple, regardless.

Overall, Witchling was an enjoyable read, and I am interested to see how Nera’s story continues in the Curse of Kin series.

Oh, and can I quickly mention how I am in love with this cover? :D