Gemini Rising

Gemini Rising - Eleanor Wood Sorana Salem is your average, in the middle of the popularity ladder, likes to stay at home and read seventeen year old girl, and goes to a private school with 16 students in her year level. Okay, maybe that last part isn’t so normal.

Sorana’s life was nothing spectacular; she had a routine when she went school, a routine on a Friday night, and her two friends to keep her company. And then the beautiful twins show up mid-term. The beautiful, captivating, and yet extremely odd twins; Elyse and Melanie. Sorana is immediately interested in them, and is eager to befriend them. Of course, she believes they won’t, as they fit in perfectly with the A team. But when the twins suddenly initiate Sorana into the clan, her life will never be the same.

Whilst reading Gemini Rising, I was constantly questioning what genre it fell into. Was it paranormal? Psychological thriller? Contemporary? I suppose if a book can fall into all three of those categories, Gemini Rising most certainly does. There are so many secrets that Wood weaves, and as a reader, you are left questioning things at almost every turn. Heck, at one point, I was convinced that the twins were a figment of Sorana’s imagination! I think that would have been an epic ending to this eerie novel, but I was pretty pleased with the author’s ending, anyhow.

From the moment I picked up Gemini Rising I was entranced. I absolutely ADORED Wood’s writing style. It is the exact kind that elicits the: 'I need to keep reading this novel until I finish’ response from me. And I love that feeling. When reading, I was reminded of Sloppy Firsts, and The Moth Diaries, all at once. These are two of my favourite books, so this is a huge complement to Wood. Sorana’s sassy and witty attitude reminded me of Jess from Sloppy Firsts, and the old school, overall eeriness, and the obsessions of teenage girls reminded me of The Moth Diaries.

I felt that I liked Sorana as a character much better in the earlier half of the novel, rather than the latter half. In the beginning, she was this awesome character that could make me laugh, and I adored her observations of people and places (even if they were a bit bitchy at times). But then, in the latter half, she was so obsessed with impressing the twins, it was like she forgot who she was – but I think that was one of the things that was supposed to stand out in this story.

I think, on the whole, this book is about the kind of power people can hold over other people. This may be wrong, and entirely different to what Wood was trying to get across in Gemini Rising, but that was the main concept that struck out at me. That Sorana was willing to do anything to impress the twins, especially Elyse, even if it meant that she was changing who she was as a person. I think that quite a lot of teenagers do things because they want to fit in, and they want to be liked by a certain person, and Wood captured this perfectly, and yet added a whole new intensely creepy twist to it – which was awesome.

I didn’t particularly warm to either twin, but I can see the kind of magnetic hold they had over Sorana. I would love to read more about their story, both before and after Gemini Rising, as I think it would be an extremely twisted, and intriguing story. I guess I will have to wait and see if this comes true.

Being a Gemini myself, it was actually kind of creepy to read about all this Gemini astrology stuff, and how obsessed the twins were with the fact that Sorana was a Gemini. I actually saw myself in some of Sorana’s actions, and it makes me wonder whether Wood is a Gemini, because she seemed to know how we act. I’m not that big on astrology, but I think my sign suits me perfectly well, as I sometimes feel that there are two very different sides to my personality. Now that I think of it, perhaps it was these two personalities of Sorana’s that were present in the first and second half of this novel.

Overall, I was pretty entranced by this novel, and even the silly teenage scenes didn’t put me off from devouring every page. And there were parents! Actual parents who cared about Sorana, and what she did – so excited about this!

I would definitely recommend this read if you are in the mood for a head-twisty kind of story.