Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me - Tahereh Mafi

I really liked Unravel Me.

Many of the problems I had with Shatter Me were still present, though. At the end of reading Shatter Me, and in my review, I stated that I hoped Juliette grew as a character in Unravel Me. Perhaps gained some strength, and finally showed her kickass heroine colours that I have been hearing about non-stop. Alas, this did not happen. I still felt as if Juliette was a whimpering girl who was not ready to take on life, not ready to accept the responsibility that comes with having powers that the general public does not. Maybe I expected her to make a decision, or ACT upon the feelings that she has for the two boys in her life. I shouldn’t have fooled myself with that, though. We all know the conclusions to love triangles occur in the final book of a series. But regardless, I wanted some character growth, and I didn’t really get any.

I remember saying that the world building in Shatter Me was kind of spectacular. Unfortunately, I think that really fell short in Unravel Me. The entire novel pretty much takes place in Omega Point, a kind of sanctuary for people with powers, and the headquarters of the rebellion against The Reestablishment. But nothing really happens. I want to know more about WHY The Reestablishment is so horrible. I want to know more about HOW they came into power. I want to know more about WHAT they do. I just want more world building. I cannot support Omega Point, and hate The Reestablishment if I’m not getting any reasons TO support and or hate these two organisations.

Chapter 62. OH BOY. I sent an email to my wifey, aka Kayla from The Thousand Lives, detailing my feelings on this chapter. Here’s a snippet (SPOILERS):

“NO DON'T RBEAK HIS HEART HE'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT AND YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO HE RELIED ON THE ONLY ONE HE EVER OPENED UP TO ND LET HIMSELF CARE ABOUT AND THEN OH NO EXPLETIVE  YOU WARNER IMMA JUST GO AND BREAK YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEART BECAUSE ID ONT HAVE ONE OOOOOOO ADAM UHM EXCUSE ME ADAM IS LAME YEAH A BIT SWOONY BUT WARNER IS SO TORTURED AND HEARTBROKEN AND HOW COULD OU DO THIS TO HIM YOU HEARTLESS GIRL ADAM DIDN'T EVEN TALK TO YOU WHEN YOU WERE IN SCHOOL TOGETHER AND WWARNER'S LIFE HAS BEEN SO HARD SO FREAKING HARD."

END SPOILERS.

There was more. More expletives, and cursing Juliette, and typos, and blanket hugging. I was kind of a mess. Warner’s character is the saving grace of this series. Don’t get me wrong, the series on a whole is pretty good, but if there wasn’t a Warner, I don’t think I would be a big fan. I think the way that Mafi has written his character is perfection, and gosh darn I am in love with him.

One thing I kind of have to mention -

I really do have to mention the -

I HAVE TO MENTION THE -

I seriously cannot stand the way no one can ever finish their sentences in these books. I mean -

Just -

PLEASE JUST FINISH YOUR SENTENCES -

I'M BEGGING YOU -

LITERALLY. BEGGING.

But yes. This really irritates me. I don't understand why every character is cut off mid sentence all the time. I would like a flowing conversation or two, please.

As soon as I finished Unravel Me, I immediately wanted to read Ignite Me. I desperately want to know what happens. And you know what book I am trotting off to read right now? I think you can guess.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/08/unravel-me-by-tahereh-mafi