Book Review: The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy #1) by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski

A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia in exchange an honest review.

The Winner’s Curse is easily one of the best books I have read this year. Why? Because it did the thing. It did the thing where I would put it down to sleep, or do mundane life things and it was all I could think about. I would think about the characters, and the world, and what I thought would happen. But most importantly, I would think: I NEED TO GET BACK TO THIS BOOK. RIGHT BLOODY NOW.

And, in my usual bookish weakness, I would return to it. Return to the beautiful The Winner’s Curse.

Kestrel, our heroine, is a bit of an odd character. She’s been raised by one of the most influential military men in the empire, and she’s also been raised with a lot of money. But she’s not your typical rich girl who cannot see beyond her own wealth and good fortune. She thinks slavery is wrong, and can actually empathise with those who have not had the luxuries of life as she has. But she is still a rich girl, and sometimes she says rude things or treats people in a not-so-nice manner. She wasn’t ever awful, but she was still someone raised to think she was the most important person in the room.

Nevertheless, I liked Kestrel. I like that she had depth – that she was the rich girl but also not the rich girl. That she could look beyond herself, and that she cared so much. And what she did at the end. OH MAN. She’s so brave and amazing, and I pretty much got a girl crush on her the instant I finished the book.

Enter Arin. *fans self* This boy. THIS BOY. It’s been a while since I have fallen head over heels in book love with someone. And Arin is my latest book boyfriend. He’s gorgeous, and tortured, and just 100% tailored for my book boyfriend list. Arin is strong and kind and caring and sweet and sassy. He’s just downright swoon worthy. I absolutely adored Arin’s character, and I want more more more.

The storyline of The Winner’s Curse was fantastic. It had mystery and suspense, romance and rivalry – it pretty much had all the ingredients of a good book and then Rutkoski made it into a great book.

The majority of the novel focuses on the characters and their relationships with one another, which I was a huge fan of. I love character driven storylines, and The Winner’s Curse fit the bill perfectly. Sometimes it was hard to emotionally connect with the characters, but most of the time I was swooning and fretting right along with them.

If you read one novel this month, make it The Winner’s Curse. It’s a fantastic read that left me wanting more and I cannot tell you enough to read this book.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/07/the-winners-curse-by-marie-rutkoski