The Fault in Our Stars (and my change of heart)

I read TFiOS a while ago. Didn't cry. Didn't even really tear up. And then I rated it three stars. I liked it enough but the wow factor and the heartbreaking factor were just not there for me, which kind of sucked because people had been telling me for months about how the book was the best in the world etc etc etc.

And then the movie was being made. With the same girl who was in two other YA films around the same time. This kind of irked me. To be honest, I wasn't really that keen on seeing the film at all.

Then some blogging friends of mine decided that we were all going to see it in a big group (hurrah!). I was excited for a fun day and a movie that looked okay.

Fast forward to me watching the movie: I was a mess. A complete and utter and awful mess. I can't count the number of times I cried and I am not joking in any way when I saw I was sobbing uncontrollably and non-stop for the last half hour of the movie.

I just felt like the movie portrayed the poignancy and beauty of the story in a way that was more relatable and feeling to me. I know that most people will still prefer the book, but I am glad the movie was made. I thought it was beautiful and heartbreaking and it really touched me.

So there you have it. Am I the only one that feels this way? Have you felt this way about another book to movie adaptation?

Also, I might as well add that I have only ever cried in five books. It's EXTREMELY hard to make me cry in books, but not so hard when it comes to TV and movies. I think it's because I can see the characters' pain and a movie can linger on a scene whereas scenes end pretty quickly when you're reading them.

Do you cry easily in books? Or are you the same as me?