Book Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi

I had heard so many things about this book, and about the series as a whole. SO MANY THINGS. I heard about Chapter 62, I had seen pitches for Warner, and pitches for Adam. I had seen posts about how kickass Juliette was. I had seen and heard about how utterly brilliant and amazing this book was.

And, for the most part, it did not disappoint.

Mafi’s writing style is like none I have ever read before. The excessive metaphors and the repetition and the internal monologue of our protagonist are all elements that suck you right into this novel. I loved seeing what metaphor that Mafi would come up with next; what Juliette’s next thought would be. The writing style of this novel is simply superb, and I can see why many fans are in awe of it. I certainly am.

As for the characters, I liked them enough. Perhaps Juliette becomes a more kickass heroine in the second novel, because in Shatter Me, she just kind of fell flat as a character for me, when reading it. I loved her thoughts and her feelings, but I didn’t see anything that screamed ‘awesomesauce’ in my face, as I had been led to believe would happen. Nevertheless, I still liked her as a character, and I am really excited to see where the series takes her.

There is a love triangle in Shatter Me, but Mafi handles it with such finesse, you end up finding you don’t even mind. Or at least I didn't. I did not pick a ‘team’ whilst reading this novel, for I feel that both boys have their strengths and weaknesses, and I feel as if I should know them both a little more before deciding. However, I did find myself swooning a lot more in the Warner scenes, simply because he is so off-limits and dominating. I think that’s some cause for counselling, yeah?

I think the world building in this novel was quite fantastic, as was the development of the story and relationships. Whilst I felt that Adam and Juliette’s romance moved a little too quickly for my liking, I had to remind myself that they hadn’t met for the first time in the book; they had known each other before. That made the overall insufficiency lessen somewhat.

There wasn’t a lot of information given regarding what actually caused Juliette’s power/s, and that kind of frustrated me. Was she the result of some kind of nuclear poisoning, or unethical testing? Hopefully more of this kind of information will be provided in the sequel.

Shatter Me was definitely an addictive read, and I cannot wait to see how this story ends.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/05/shatter-me-by-tahereh-mafi