Book Review: Sleep No More by Aprilynne Pike

Sleep No More - Aprilynne Pike

A copy of this novel was provided by Harper Collins Australia in exchange for an honest review.

WOW. Okay, let me start off by saying that I read Sleep No More in about three hours, which is a pretty big feat, especially since I started it at 9pm. NO SLEEP TO BE HAD FOR AMAZING BOOKS. But seriously, I was blown away.

I must admit something to you all. I simply must. … I am a fan of novels that have a small cast of characters. Yes, I like to read novels that have a wide range of characters with differing personalities and motives etc etc. But I prefer to have a small cast. One where we can really get to know the characters: who they are, why they do what they do, what is really important to them. I love getting to know the nitty gritty of a character and I think a small cast allows this on a greater level.

Sleep No More has a small cast. It pretty much centres on the same five characters and their journey, but also includes other characters who may not have a huge role scene or speech-wise but play a huge role in the novel overall. Did I achieve confusion? *high fives you*

I’d call Sleep No More a thriller, and that’s one of the reasons why I liked it so much. Most of the YA novels I read don’t really have any suspense. And sure, that may be because I am not scouring the shelves for thrillers, but that might change now because I loved the thrill that reading Sleep No More gave me. I loved the guessing and the condemning and the heart beating. I love it when a book makes me feel different things (that aren’t depressing or swoony).

Because of this mystery aspect, there really is not a lot I can say about the storyline because I think even the slightest speculation on my part could potentially ruin the entire story for you and then I’d feel immense guilt and sorrow.

So. Great characters. Mystery. Eerie happenings. MURDER. BETRAYAL. Love. Lust. MAGIC. THRILLS. Suspicion. Secrets. AWESOMESAUCE.

Okay maybe that last one wasn’t in the novel, but everything else was and they are all reasons why Sleep No More should be the next book to hit your shelves! Or your eyes, but not in the way that would hurt you.

*pushes you out the door* Go. Go now and read Sleep No More!

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Your Turn: Do you prefer books with a small cast of characters, or a large? Why? Are thrilling novels exciting for you to read?

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/05/sleep-no-more-by-aprilynne-pike