Book Review: Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles #1) by Lenore Appelhans

Level 2 - Lenore Appelhans

I was surprised by Level 2. Towards the beginning of the book, I was absolutely in love with it. I was even really excited; thinking that I had finally found another book to add to the precious ‘favourites’ list. But then something … happened. And it wasn’t necessarily bad, but it prevented Level 2 from making it to the favourites shelf. Which is sad.

It had been a long time since I had read the blurb for Level 2, and I had, in all honesty, completely forgotten the fact that it was about angels. This came as such a surprise to me when I read it in the novel. I was completely expecting a sci-fi story, and instead I was thrust into another angel world. But that is entirely my own fault for neglecting to re-read the synopsis of Level 2.

The premise of Level 2 was completely unique. A hive filled with girls who replay their memories, and can share in others’ memories, as well? It’s awesome, to say the least. The first part of the novel focussed more on this awesomeness. The hives, Felicia’s memories of her life. And I think that’s perhaps the reason why I wasn’t quite as enamoured with the latter half of this novel. We were introduced to rebels, and there was weird fog, and angels. To be entirely honest, the last chapters or so had my head entirely reeling, and I found myself wondering what on earth was going on. I was lost, to say the least.

I didn’t quite understand Felicia’s unwavering love for Neil. Sure, I can understand that to Felicia, Neil was this bright light in human form. A perfect Christian boy who introduced the love of life back into her. But I was kind of left unimpressed by him. I felt like he was nothing special. And maybe that’s the way he was meant to be portrayed – I am not sure. But I was definitely unimpressed by the boy who consumed our heroine so completely.

And then there was Julian. SO MUCH MORE IMPRESSED. I mean, he was badass, and sexy, and just downright crushable. When I was reading, I was constantly wondering why Felicia wasn’t head over heels in love with him rather than Neil. What can I say? I don’t understand characters’ choices sometimes, and this was one of those occasions.

The events of Level 2 occur within the span of about a day. I thought this was awesome. A few hundred pages, and we are only witness to one day in the life of our main character? This was one aspect of Level 2 that I really enjoyed. I like it when the flow of time within a book isn’t too fast, and I think the pacing in Level 2 was pretty fantastic.

The writing style was engaging, as was the storyline overall. There are all these events that Felicia references, and you have to wait to find out what she means by them. That may sound annoying, but it really was not. I found myself excited whenever a memory was about to be relived, because I wondered if this was the one where we would find out what Felicia was talking about. Very sneaky tactic to keep me wanting more, I must say.

Even though there were aspects that I didn't adore, I still thoroughly enjoyed Level 2. I raced through it within a few hours, and I am being completely honest when I say that I cannot wait to read the sequel.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Your Turn: Have you ever forgotten what a novel is about and then were surprised when you read it? Do you fall in love with the non-love interest, too?

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/04/level-2-by-lenore-appelhans