Book Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia in exchange an honest review.

Where do even begin this review? I am really at a loss.

Crown of Midnight grew leaps and bounds from its predecessor. Every aspect was expanded upon. Every character was deepened. Every relationship developed. Everything was so much better. I really, really liked Crown of Midnight.

In Crown of Midnight, we get to see Celaena’s wild side. Her truly wild side. The lengths she will go to in order to protect those she loves. The way she completely changes when her heart and mind are set on the same thing. It was chilling, and amazing, and thoroughly captivating. I was in awe of her character.

The plot of this novel was intricate, and interesting. It left you constantly guessing and second-guessing. Even triple guessing. Who was trustworthy? Who was a betrayer? Even I was surprised with the turn of events regarding who Celaena could trust, which is saying a lot because I am usually good at guessing who will end up being foe rather than friend. I love being surprised. It’s always such a treat.

Celaena’s relationship with both Chaol and Dorian were explored, and I really enjoyed this. I felt that the romance moved a little too quickly in Throne of Glass, but this was not the case in Crown of Midnight. There was progression of romance between Celaena and one of the boys, and a mutual (?) understanding of friendship with the other. I am so glad that there wasn’t any jealous backstabbing – or at least there hasn’t been any yet. I hope this stays the case.

The magic aspect of the series was much more prominent and believable in Crown of Midnight. We are privy to more of what it means, and involves. It wasn’t just: hey, look, magic! It was explained, and interwoven with several different storylines, as well as the overarching one. I am excited to see where it leads in future books.

Of course, the ‘surprise’ at the end of the novel was not surprising at all. I had guessed it at the first mention in Throne of Glass. I just want to know what certain characters do with the information that they know have in their possession.

Overall, I was smitten with this novel. I was compelled to turn page after page. I was captivated by the storyline. I simply cannot wait to read more of this series.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/04/crown-of-midnight-by-sarah-j-maas