Book Review: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass is one of those books that every single person I know has read and loved. I was hesitant to read it because of this reason. Everyone was raving about the world, and Celaena, and which boy of the fetid love triangle they wanted to win her heart. Everyone darn loves this book.

Me? Eh, not so much.

My two main problems with this novel were Celaena herself, and the plot.

Celaena is supposed to be Adarlan’s Assassin. A badass bitch who has killed heaps of people, and who the PRINCE thought was amazing enough to go and drag her out of some apparently abhorrent mine prison. I didn’t see this. It was all tell, and no show. We didn’t get any back-story of how she trained, we didn’t hear about any of her previous accomplishments as the apparently amazing assassin that she is. We were just told that she was freaking fantastic, and we were supposed to accept it. I couldn’t accept it. Not at all.

For one, she acted like an insolent child. She was eighteen in the novel, and she acted like a fourteen year old (no offense against fourteen year olds). She was ridiculously self-involved, narcissistic, egotistic, and petulant. I did not warm to her character at all. And with all her childish antics, I had an extremely hard time imagining her to be filled with stealth and cunning as we had been told. It was simply unbelievable, especially with no evidence as to her apparent infamy as an assassin.

I swear I keep hearing things about amazing heroines in books, and when I finally get around to reading about them they are not amazing, and I am left bereft and still in search of said amazing heroine.

The plot was slow. It really was. I don’t mind slow plots, but the entire novel focussed on one event. One event. People vying to be the king’s Champion. That’s it. Add in some superfluous ‘gore’ and ‘magic’, and that’s it. We get told about the horrid conditions that Celaena somehow survived in even though she was only seventeen at the time, but we don’t see the place. We hear about Celaena’s training, but aren’t all that privy to it. Addition of pointless love triangle between Celaena, prince and guard, and some dead people, and some more dead people, and voila. There you have it. I was disappointed, to say the least.

The ‘big reveal’ was completely foreseeable, and I was just waiting for literally hundreds of pages for Celaena to be cunning and intuitive as we had been told, and figure it the damn out. But no, she was shocked at the reveal.

There were also some random points of view that were added into the story that I didn’t think were necessary. The majority of the novel is from Celaena’s third person view, and then randomly there would be a chapter from Dorian, Chaol, that wench that I can’t remember the name of, and then a random lone one from the king. I am not a big fan of character hopping, and I didn’t really think these ‘insights’ into the extra characters in the novel added anything to the story.

I will not go into much detail of the love triangle except that it was ridiculously evident from the first chapter, and that it tired me when reading it. Love triangles have been used to death, and I am simply sick of their entire existence.

All in all, I went in expecting this novel to be as amazing as everyone said it was. Of course, I try to go in with no expectation but when everyone around you is practically screaming about how fantastic a book is, it’s hard not to enter with some kind of expectation. Sadly, Throne of Glass didn’t live up to the hype that it has received.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/04/throne-of-glass-by-sarah-j-maas