When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love)

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love) - Ingrid Jonach A copy of this novel was provided by Strange Chemistry via Net Galley.

Ingrid Jonach is a mastermind.

That’s the first thing that comes to mind after finishing When the World Was Flat last night. I mean, how does someone even come up with an idea as fantastical and crazy and amazing as this one? Only a mastermind could do it – hence the first statement at the beginning of this review. Jonach is a mastermind in her ability to weave this story. There’s simply no other way to put it.

From the moment I picked up When the World Was Flat, I was hooked. The writing style was the kind that just grabs you, and Lillie’s character voice was incredible.

I went into this book not remembering anything about what I had read from other reviews; or from the blurb for that matter. All I could remember was that it was a love story, and had something to do with Einstein. It was so much more than that. It was about a normal teenage girl, who is terrified of her recurring nightmares. A girl who falls for a boy, who she seems to know. A girl who you can relate to. A girl who seems real.

With sci-fi books, and fantasy books, sometimes everything is so out there that it really does feel like you’re reading a story. But with When the World Was Flat, it was not like that at all. Everything was so normal, except for this wonderful plot that Jonach created. Lillie had a strange relationship with her even stranger mother, she had two best friends, a bully at her high school. Normal things that people in real life have, and face on a daily basis. I loved feeling that this story was real, even though for the most part the plot was crazy surreal.

I have rarely come across a main character as interesting and unique as Lillie. She is a little strange, but that makes her even more wonderful. I adored every minute of reading her thoughts and feelings. They were so completely attune to what a teenage girl in her situation would feel. It was amazing.

I have to mention Tom. And the fact that he has a slightly Australian accent. Hello, ladies! I love Tom's character. In fact, I loved every single character in this novel because Jonach wrote them with such precision I could see them so clearly in my mind. I could see the whole book playing out in my mind, like a movie. A truly awesome movie.

As you can probably tell already, I am in love with this book. I am so glad that the expiry on my Net Galley copy didn’t run out before I had the chance to read it, because I would have missed out on a truly amazing and wonderful young adult novel that is now one of my favourites. And Ingrid is such a nice person as well! We have even fan-girled over Supernatural together. That’s how awesome she is – she can write this superb novel and then fan-girl with me over Supernatural. Again, she is a mastermind. I cannot wait to read more from Ingrid, and I shall be impatiently waiting for a new novel!

© 2013, Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.