Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily)

Grasping at Eternity - Karen Amanda Hooper A copy of this novel was provided by All Night Reads via Net Galley.

Have you ever felt a sense of déjà vu? Felt as if you have lived that moment before? Perhaps it's because you've lived a past life, but have chosen to erase your memories, like Maryah Woodsen.

Before she chose to erase, Maryah had spent all of her previous lives with the love of her, well, lives, Nathaniel. But since she erased seventeen years ago, she has no idea who he is, or what they had together. And for Nathaniel, the idea of spending the rest of eternity alone is heartbreaking.

When Maryah has to move in with her godmother, Louise, and her family, she never knew how special she was, or how deep her connection to them really ran. When visions of a beautiful green eyed boy plague her dreams, Maryah is convinced he is her angel of death. But his true identity is eventually revealed, and Maryah feels like she's met him before. But that's impossible. You only live once, right?

I really liked Grasping at Eternity. When I first picked up this book, and started reading, I thought it was going to be very similar to Lauren Kate's Fallen series, which is also about reincarnation. And boy, am I glad that Grasping at Eternity was so different to Fallen. Grasping at Eternity was completely unique. I loved it from the moment I picked it up, and read the first paragraph, and that love didn't fade until I finished reading.

If you loved it so much, then why didn't you give it four stars? you may ask. Well the answer comes in two forms.

The first is that I wasn't particularly fond of how involved the family was in each other's business. I know they are a kindrily, and they've spent countless lives together, but, come on! People need their privacy. Stop telling each other what you should and shouldn't do, and just let them make their own choices. I wasn't a fan of the involved-ness.

The second reason is the ending. It all felt so rushed to me! I would have been perfectly content with another hundred pages, and no sudden events in the last few chapters. I felt like everything was resolved a little to quickly for my taste, and it left me feeling as if it was a bit unbelievable.

But other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute that I was reading this book. It only took me two sittings to race through it, and I immediately wanted to start Taking Back Forever. Luckily I have the publisher's email, and I can ask for it *insert maniacal laughter here*

I am really excited to see where the story is headed, because I love the concept of the Elements, and how people can choose to retain or erase their memories at the end of each lifetime. It's beautiful.

I really liked Maryah as a character, and I felt as if she was real to life. She didn't cave into pressure, and she accepted her new adoptive family so easily. I felt as if she was a genuinely nice person, but without being fake, or insincere. I would like to meet her in real life; she seems like the kind of person I would get along with. The only thing that I did not like about her character was how she insisted that she was unattractive, and therefore undeserving of the attention of beautiful boys. Hey, girl, you don't need to be a supermodel just because someone else is good looking. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, and you shouldn't be asking them if they can love you, just because you're not drop dead gorgeous. You need some self esteem boosting!

Nathaniel. Aw, man, I sort of have mixed feelings about this boy. Sometimes, I was awash with swoony emotions, and loving him, and then the next minute, I was narrowing my eyes at him. For example, I didn't like how he kept on going on about how empty Maryah was, and how she was not half the soul she used to be. Hang on, buddy. Sure, she hasn't lived a billion lives like somebody, but she's still a pretty fantastic human being if you ask me. And then other times, he would be all old-fashioned and charming, and he would have my heart again.

Not a lot of the other characters in this book really jumped out at me, except River (why you do this to me?), and the twins; faith and Harmony. I definitely liked the twins. I thought they were unique, and fun to read about.

I shall just finish off this review of mine by saying that Grasping at Eternity is not your average YA paranormal, and that Hooper brings a new twist to the concept of reincarnation. Grasping at Eternity is an enjoyable read, and I cannot wait until the next instalment!