Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles

Cinder - Marissa Meyer As always, when going into a book that everyone you know has raved about, you’re a little apprehensive. No one likes to be the black sheep, the hater of the beloved book. It’s awkward, uncomfortable. Just downright dislikable. And I hate to break it to you, guys, but …. I am NOT one of those people. I LOVED Cinder!

*insert evil laughter* You all thought I was going to say I didn’t like it, didn’t you? Well, I did. I more than liked it. Like I said, I loved it. Cinder was amazing, and just as awesome as everyone has always told me it would be.

I love the entire world that Meyer has created. I love the characters, the setting, the places, the events … pretty much just everything. It’s all so original, and unique, and I just loved it.

Cinder was an amazing female main character. She wasn’t obsessed and gushy about Kai, she wasn’t fixated on her looks. She was loyal, she was brave. She was an amazing main character, and one that I am so happy to have found. Being a cyborg isn’t easy for her, but she doesn’t spend her time whining about how she wishes she could be human. She knows what she is, she accepts it as much as she can, and she lives her day to day life. Strength in the face of adversity; something I can truly respect, and something I congratulate Meyer on bringing into this classic fairytale.

Speaking of Cinderella. The links to the original story were clear, but it wasn’t exactly a re-telling. There were new elements, new characters, new things everywhere! Which made it all the more exciting to read. We ALL know the story of Cinderella, but Cinder brings a whole new twist to it, and makes you feel as if you didn’t know the story at all. It’s quite magical, really.

The plot was intricate, but not at all confusing. There was enough action to prevent boredom, but there was enough scene setting and world building to really make you feel as if you knew what was going on. There was no info-dumping, and I felt that the pace at which the information was given was perfect. There was no questioning, no boredom, just excellent pacing all ‘round from Meyer. Another gold star for this author.

There was no insta-love in Cinder. It was just a breath of fresh air, really. Kai and Cinder couldn’t be further apart in regards to their social circles and standing in society. Kai doesn’t let his feelings rule him, and Cinder doesn’t let hers rule her, either. It’s just a realistic representation of the relationship that might have conspired between a prince and a mechanic. I just loved it. I ship these two so hard. SO HARD.

The story of the Lunars, and lemutosis are intriguing, and add a whole new depth to the original fairytale. I loved reading about the Lunars, and the evil queen witchy poo (who I obviously hate for obvious reasons), and am so excited to read the rest of this series.

I know now why everyone loves Cinder, and can proudly say: I am now a crew member of this ship club.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.