Atone: A Fairytale - Jessica Grey Okay, I’m just going to come straight out with it at the beginning. I, Chiara, LOVED this book. Seriously. Atone would have to be one of my favourite reads of 2013, and that’s pretty high praise coming from me.

When I first started reading the book, there were references I didn’t understand, and then I realised that it was the second book in a trilogy, and that I had not read the first; Awake. I was a little worried that my enjoyment of Atone would be decreased because of this. Boy, was I wrong.

From the moment, and I mean the MOMENT, I started Atone, I was in for the long run. There was no ‘I can’t get into this’, no ‘what is going on?’, no ‘I’m so confused’, and I hadn’t even read its predecessor. Jessica Grey is just that awesome at weaving a world for her reader.

I loved every moment of Atone. I loved every character of Atone. I loved the storyline of Atone. I loved the world of Atone. I loved the ending of Atone. Are you getting me? I loved this book to pieces, and I want to hold a copy in my hands and stroke its beautiful cover with my fingers in loving infatuation.

Atone is kind of a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, my favourite fairytale of all time. I hadn’t read the blurb since I signed up for this tour, so I had, in fact, forgotten what this book was even about. And I was so glad, because it made every single thing that happened so very exciting and new, and I love it when that happens! I’ve read a few Beauty and the Beast retellings in my time, and this would have to be hands down one of my top five favourites. It was different enough from the fairytale that it wasn’t like reading the same thing as 100 other books, but also true enough to the basis of my favourite fairytale to leave me in love with the story.

The world Grey has created in Atone is amazing. Her descriptions of people and places were in depth, and I was never left wondering what anything or anyone looked like; something that I heartily appreciate in novels. The dialogue was realistic, the emotions true to life, and the relationships believable.

I thought Becca was an awesome main character. Besides the fact that she’s my age, which is so very hard to find in books. Seriously, why isn’t anyone ever twenty? But she was just sassy and witty, and completely real. I felt her background story was the kind that many people can relate to, not out of this world like so many other YA books put forward. She cared about her two best friends, and their bond was one of my favourite aspects of this book.

Nicholas. Oh, boy. Don’t even get me started. I will just say that I am a huge fan, and that he is pretty much the perfect modern portrayal of the Beast in my opinion.

I just cannot sing this book’s praises enough, and I sincerely recommend it to anyone looking for an awesome YA story, with a smack of the best fairytale in history. I am currently running away to buy Awake, and waiting impatiently for the final book in the trilogy to be released!

© 2013, Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.