Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

Scarlet was an amazing sequel to Cinder. We were introduced to new characters, new stories, new settings, new everything, and it was refreshing.

I know a lot of people are wary when it comes to the second book in a series - I think there’s even a term (second book syndrome, or something along those lines). I have never quite understood this fear and trepidation, as I have often enjoyed sequels just as much, if not more than the first book. I am happy to say that I enjoyed Scarlet just as much as Cinder.

I loved the introduction of Scarlet herself, and Wolf the best. WOLF. I cannot even comprehend my love for this character. The way Meyer has woven the traditional tale of Little Red Riding Hood into this epic sci-fi story is kind of unbelievable. I didn’t know how she would tackle LRRH, but she tackled it well. It wasn’t predictable, or slow. It was fast-paced, action-packed, and simply amazing.

Even though Scarlet and Wolf only knew each other for a day or so, I didn’t feel insta-love. The development of their feelings was written into the story so cleverly that I completely believed their feelings for each other, and didn’t feel as if anything had been rushed at all. Only a talented writer could pull that off, and Meyer is nothing if not talented.

Wolf was definitely my favourite character in this novel. I love broken characters, and I love broken love interests even more, and he fits that description perfectly. This book definitely makes it onto the ‘ultimate swoonage’ shelf in my mind, reserved for the book boyfriends that will make me swoon to the max. But, other than the excessive and incessant swooning that went on whilst reading of Wolf, his story was also interesting, and intriguing. I REALLY hope there is a chapter in Cress told from his ‘point of view’ (as much as it can be in third person), because I want to see inside his head, and learn more about him and his predicament. I pretty much just want more of him, but I can veil it in the interest of his background, can’t I?

Scarlet was also an awesome new character in The Lunar Chronicles. She’s strong-willed, won’t take crap from anyone, and is dedicated to her mission of saving her grandmother. Whilst I didn’t love her as much as I love Cinder, I still think she’s a great character, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her, and her story.

I desperately want to know what happens to all of the characters – especially Kai. KAI. *insert wailing noise* I need Cress in my grabby hands right now.

If you cannot tell that I really liked Scarlet, and that I think you should The Lunar Chronicles ASAP, I shall tell you now. Scarlet was awesome, and I loved it, and you should definitely read The Lunar Chronicles. Like, right now.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity. All rights reserved.

Source: http://delicateeternity.com/2014/09/scarlet-by-marissa-meyer